[Bf-committers] CLOSED: Re: Languages other then python in Blender 2.5?

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 12:35:19 CET 2009

By the API's being smaller - I mean there are fewer points of entry
for a scripting language.
It doesn't matter how many operators there are as long as the
scripting language has a generic way to access them. Same goes for
RNA.

One of my goals for 2.5 api is to make sure doesnt grow out of control
like 2.4x.
The API will grow a bit with Utility functions and UI maybe, but its
still going to be a lot smaller then 2.4x api.

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 3:07 AM, joe <joeedh at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok.  In general I think we should discourage having things use the 2.5
> bpy api.  It may be quite small *now*, but that doesn't mean it will
> be that way *later*.  And in general it seems like a rather bad idea
> to me.
>
> Joe
>
> On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 3:12 AM, Banlu Kemiyatorn <object at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 2:56 PM, joe <joeedh at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'm still confused.  He said py's data/op api.  Did he mean bpy
>>> wrapping stuff? Or something else in python's C API?
>>>
>>> Joe
>>
>> Hi Joe
>>
>> Please let me quote Campbell's below for what i meant, once he said
>>
>> "For other languages It could be worth having JS/Ruby/etc call the
>> Python RNA and Operator api, Its not a big task since both API's are
>> quite small.
>>
>> I would not usually recommend this BUT....
>> The way operators work doesn't rely so much on the speed of the
>> scripting language (transform/subdivide/extrude etc are just 1 call),
>> so the overhead wont be so bad."
>>
>> In the ECMAScript-RNA bridge I'm working on it doesn't do that anyway,
>> It's just a wrapper around RNA for data and op in the same fashion with
>> the py implementation thus I'm considering providing both by adding
>> js-python bridge later.
>> Thanks.

- Campbell