[Bf-committers] 2.5 UI font

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Wed Dec 9 08:14:21 CET 2009

On 09/12/2009, at 5:15 PM, Mats Holmberg wrote:

> In certain cases yes, eg when you use one 3d-view. But if you split
> your view in two, then you will have two narrow views instead. Two
> views fit much better in a horizontal layout on a 16:9 monitor. Just
> one example.

You could say similar things in reverse about splitting the 3d View
horizontally. The issues about horizontal layouts have already been
discussed and dealt with previously, I suggest reading/watching
William's PDFs and presentations for some of them. The fact is that
forcing panels to square shapes was a major cause of problems in the
UI in the past, not to mention trouble with dynamic content.

I've mentioned in similar discussions before, detailed proposals for
making horizontal layouts work in blender are more than welcome, but
nobody's provided any concrete designs so far that really stand up,
under the requirements such as:

* Should be *simple* and easy for non-designer coders to use and
maintain, with minimal effort (this disagrees with ideas of making two
completely custom layouts for horz and vert)

* Should be elegantly expandable, so that when new features are added
or new options appear (eg. modifiers, constraints, whatever comes
next) the whole UI isn't rearranged, which ruins muscle memory. (this
disagrees with designs that push panels back and forth, jumping to
different columns).

* Should make good use of available space

* Should be clear, organised and quick and easy to find something if
you don't already know where it is

cheers,

Matt