[Bf-committers] Blender2.5 and Video-Textures

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 18:01:42 CEST 2009

The BGE is significantly faster, it has faces sorted by material to
minimize context switching, uses display lists.
Simple example is a complex YoFrankie level run ~94fps on my system
but in the GE it updates at about 15fps.

Having the main loop in python is not much of a performance issue I
think. though I can see how its nicer to manage in some cases.

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 3:01 PM, Goat Man<goatman.py at gmail.com> wrote:
> I can not fully compare it to the game engine since i have never played with
> the BGE that much.
>  . I prefer to have my own mainloop in Python, so i can control frame
> dropping.
>  . I would rather code my own interface in GTK for device control, rather
> than using Blender's Logic Editor.  Partly because i want to have more logic
> options.
>  . I think (somebody hopefully can correct me) that not using the BGE is
> faster (or maybe only slightly) if you have alot of complex Python code that
> must be run each frame.
>  . I also want to be able to exit the plugin and go directly back to
> Blender, and relaunch Pyppet again.
> -brett
>
> On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 9:58 PM, Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> as far as I know this is not planned for 2.5, better go with the game
>> engine.
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 6:07 AM, Charles
>> Wardlaw<cwardlaw at marchentertainment.com> wrote:
>> > Out of curiosity, what would be the benefit of that over the game engine?
>> > I'd think that actuators set to keyboard presses and releases would be a
>> > great way to VJ.
>> >
>> > ~ C

>> --
>> - Campbell