[Bf-committers] Raytracer Optimization

Yves Poissant ypoissant2 at videotron.ca
Tue Apr 21 01:43:54 CEST 2009

Hello André,

I am quite excited to see you take on the raytracer optimization project.
>From your bio, you seem to be the right person to tackle this.

The code I left in the patch tracker was not designed to be implemented in
Blender as-is. I was experimenting with different structures during spare
time and the code was rather to just let me experiment in a way that I felt
comfortable with. But then I got a job offer programming a render engine and
I feared that I would not be allowed to continue working on that code from
my employer. I did not want this work to just disapear so I took the
decision to put the code in the tracker in the state it was just before I
signed the NDA with my employer. That is what you get in the tracker.

I'm glad to see that your goal is to go further than just optimizing the
acceleration structure. In my experience, concentrating the efforts only
onto the acceleration structure did not gain as much performance as I
expected. I tabulated the render times for some 35 scenes. Some scenes had
dramatic improvements while other did not improve at all. Overall, the BVH
performance was not slower than the octree and sometimes much faster but the
results were still quite disapointing. As for the BIH, it was also globally
faster than the octree but for some scene, it was significantly slower than
the octree. In light of this, I think that your approach of analyzing the
scene and selecting the most appropriate acceleration structure may be
interesting. My best improvement stat was 720% (7.2 times faster) using the
BIH and my worst slowdown was -96% using a non SAH-BVH. I would have liked
to invest more time into it and discover what was causing that but now you
know the rest of the story.

I wish you good luck in your BSoC. If you want to discuss acceleration
structure with me, then just leave me an email and I will discuss. Of course
there might be areas where I will not be able to venture due to my NDA but I
can discuss any public knowledge so fell free.

Yves