[Bf-committers] Removing Build Systems

Benoit Bolsee benoit.bolsee at online.be
Mon Apr 13 11:18:02 CEST 2009

Being able to run debug build in the MSVC environment is a sine qua non
condition for me to participate in Blender development. Thus I cannot
agree with people voting for keeping scons as the only build system.  It
has been suggested that scons could generate the cmake files
automatically. It's an interesting idea but don't know if it is
possible.

So far I've been maintaining the MSVC project files in trunk with the
help of Andrea. However, whenever I add files to the projects, I always
add them to the other build system too, otherwise I get users (and
platform maintainers) yelling about build problems in the next minute.
Note that the opposite never happens: when you guys add files to
Blender, I add them to the MSVC projects files without complaining.

That has been working not too badly until now but I agree with Brecht,
it's a waste of time. If cmake can generate good quality project files,
also in debug mode, and deal correctly with user options and libraries
(it seems a bit stubborn about that), then I'd be happy to drop
maintaining MSVC project files for the benefit of cmake.

Generally I find cmake quite good and it deserves to be an official,
well maintained build system. Cmake can create native build files, so it
can replace Makefile and MSVC project files. Personnaly I think it could
replace scons, but that's another story.

My 2c.
/benoit