[Bf-committers] Removing Build Systems

joe joeedh at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 11:37:26 CEST 2009

So, basically you agree we should keep cmake and scons, and people
will use cmake to generate the project files?

Additional comments interspersed below.

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 3:18 AM, Benoit Bolsee <benoit.bolsee at online.be> wrote:
> Being able to run debug build in the MSVC environment is a sine qua non
> condition for me to participate in Blender development. Thus I cannot
> agree with people voting for keeping scons as the only build system.  It
> has been suggested that scons could generate the cmake files
> automatically. It's an interesting idea but don't know if it is
> possible.

I don't know if anyone was suggesting we only go with scons.

> So far I've been maintaining the MSVC project files in trunk with the
> help of Andrea. However, whenever I add files to the projects, I always
> add them to the other build system too, otherwise I get users (and
> platform maintainers) yelling about build problems in the next minute.
> Note that the opposite never happens: when you guys add files to
> Blender, I add them to the MSVC projects files without complaining.

That's because it's more annoying to add files to several sets of
project files whose format you don't understand, and isn't meant to be
manipulated via a text editor :)  Also, in many cases the other build
systems won't need to be updated for something, but msvc will.