[Bf-committers] Patch #17631 - minor bugfix - PIL_dynlib_get_error_as_string returns NULL, causes crash.

Early Ehlinger early at respower.com
Mon Sep 15 22:21:19 CEST 2008

I wish I had submitted this way back when I wrote it, because I would
remember exactly where the bug is exposed, but alas I didn't.

I suspect it was in source/blender/yafray/intern/export_Plugin.cpp, where
the result is pumped directly to std::cerr's operator<<.  In certain C++
standard libraries, passing NULL for the char* overload results in undefined
behavior, or at least platform-defined behavior.  In my case of course, the
platform defined it to mean "CRASH."

Again, it was months ago that I debugged it, so I don't recall which call to
the function caused the problem, but I made the patch in response to Blender
crashing on the farm, so I figure now that I've got some time to review the
changes we've made for our Blender support, I should submit it.

-- Early Ehlinger, President, ResPower, Inc.