[Bf-committers] ActiveX code rewrite (or request for creating a branch)

Marcelo Coraça de Freitas mfreitas at ydeasolutions.com.br
Tue Nov 25 17:15:08 CET 2008

Em Ter, 2008-11-25 às 07:39 -0800, Roger Wickes escreveu:
> If the Blender Foundation has an active certificate, they could sign
> the plug-in when it is released, which would solve the IE Security
> requirement.

It's a requirement for making a public release of the plugin, but the
security issue I talked about is not quite this.

When running in the web, explorer don't let ActiveX controls to write to
disk. It's so in order to avoid viruses and spywares.

As blenderplayer is a separated process that load files from disk it
(writing to disk) is a requirement for the current plugin to work. The
fix for this would be sending the file through memory to the child
process.

There are two ways I know of to do this. One is using mapped memory (I
believe it will work fine but I still haven't tested yet). Other is to
use the IPC mechanism to send the file to blenderplayer.

Notice that telling blenderplayer to stream directly from the web is not
a quite good solution as the internet explorer cache wouldn't be used at
all. I believe the best is aways delegate to the browser to handle
downloading files and then send the resulting data to blenderplayer.

regards,

Marcelo Coraça de Freitas
Gerente de TI

Ydea Desenvolvimento de Software LTDA.
Av. Adolfo Pinheiro, 2338 - Alto da Boa Vista
CEP.:04734-004 - São Paulo - SP
Tel.: 55-11-5523-0333
Tel.: 55-11-8685-1429