[Bf-committers] [Patch] Add support for using (dynamically) system-wide FTGL libraries.

Cyril Brulebois kibi at debian.org
Mon May 5 20:55:37 CEST 2008

On 05/05/2008, Joe Eagar wrote:
> I'm just curious, why would you want to use the system-wide libraries?
> I mean FTGL is a very small library.

So that bugs fixed in the shared library benefit to everyone using it,
without having to recompile every application (be it using an embedded
code copy, or by linking a static library).

In particular, security bugs come to mind, which is why people working
for a given distribution try to avoid using such embedded code copies,
so as to make the job of their security team easier, as well as
improving the overall quality.

Other people might refer to a smallest size of the binaries (especially
when libraries are used by several other applications) but that's not
the primary reason (at least for FTGL). When one counts the reverse
dependencies of say libavcodec in Debian, one gets several dozens
packages (heh, 42); in that case, I guess that install size can matter.

Mraw,
KiBi.