[Bf-committers] [Patch] Add support for using (dynamically) system-wide FTGL libraries.

Joe Eagar joeedh at gmail.com
Sun May 11 04:55:17 CEST 2008

Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> On 05/05/2008, Joe Eagar wrote:
>
>> I'm just curious, why would you want to use the system-wide libraries?
>> I mean FTGL is a very small library.
>>

> So that bugs fixed in the shared library benefit to everyone using it,
> without having to recompile every application (be it using an embedded
> code copy, or by linking a static library).
>
> In particular, security bugs come to mind, which is why people working
> for a given distribution try to avoid using such embedded code copies,
> so as to make the job of their security team easier, as well as
> improving the overall quality.

Sadly, this mentality doesn't really work well on linux.   The problem
is some open-source developers tend to break APIs at will.  Also,
there's no */guarantee/*
<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&hs=3XM&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=guarantee&spell=1>
that every distro will always have the latest version.  Shared librarys
in general, imho, are dangerous to use and careful thought should be put
into whether or not you should use them.