[Bf-committers] Start up and scons/compile errors

Nathan Letwory jesterking at letwory.net
Mon Mar 31 07:21:42 CEST 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 1:48 AM, Roger <hovergo at net-tech.com.au> wrote:
> Hi all
>  I am new to blender committers as of today.

Yay, welcome and congrats!

>  Starting from terminal l I get ' bash: ./blender: cannot execute binary file'
>  Googling shows an number of such complaints but no resolution.

On the funboard mailinglist you also mentioned that it was due to it
being set to be started by wine. I'm not sure anymore about Linux
distributions (they do more and more magic under the hood that is not
obvious - like startup scripts etc). Were these binaries from a build
you downloaded (ie. release candidates?), or did you manage to build
it yourself?

>  Obtained svn for both but both report a number of 'scons' errors some with
>  missing files which are installed on my machine.
>  SND seems to be a problem
>  I have little use for sound at this time so would wish to compile without sound
>  if possible. also would like to compile using only English language.
>
>  scons errors include
>  extern/ffmpeg/libavformat/wc3movie.c:72: warning: 'AVPaletteControl' is deprecated

As Ken says, these are warnings and 'safe' to ignore (although the
developers should do something about them, as they point to potential
bugs ;). If you really get build errors, check the build log for the
very first line that says "error: <some message here>"

Anyway: scons WITH_BF_OPENAL=0 WITH_BF_INTERNATIONAL=0

For the language issue, you pass the WITH_BF_INTERNATIONAL=0 option to
scons. Check the doc/ -directory from the sources for further info on
how to use our scons system (for instance, scons -h gives you a long
list of all options it understands for our builds)

/Nathan