[Bf-committers] About 2.46 RC

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Sat Mar 22 15:30:18 CET 2008

Hi,

Jaros?aw Kolmaga wrote:
> About UV/Edit mode selecting - most of it's functionality can be redone
> in UV+Edit mode, with just little changes, but it's not the problem in
> fact. Bigger problem is power consumption of UV mode - I used to work on
> 1.8 duo laptop, but even in my home, on 3.0 duo, selecting few k faces
> (can't tell exact numbers) is making things slow... In UV-Edit mode, I
> can work on specific selection on UV, then in Edit Mode unhide all and
> using v-groups and materials specify next fragment and get back to work
> in UV. Also, defining "done" and "undone" parts in UV-Edit is sweet
> because of that - I don't know (and precisely - don't know) if that will
> be also so cool in UV+Edit. Ad when it goes for power consumption, just
> unhiding (or select-all'ing) 50k model part in UV Mode is enough to
> force me to take some break - because I just must wait for it to load
> all that UV islands and place it on 2048 map. I don't know, what part is
> that hard for processor - maybe you, with your knowledge, will be able
> to specify it. Also, with few k, basic operations on UV (rotate, scale,
> grab) are very unpleasant, as you must wait long time for it to load -
> after that initialisation, it goes smoothly, but you must re-wait for
> any next operation. That's why I was forced to draw 'used' and 'unused'
> areas on UV test grid while UV Mapping - I'm also worried about that
> functionality in new, UV+Edit mode.

I find it hard to understand this explanation, too many terms getting
mixed up. As I understand it, working with UV's is slow for you, and
so being able to work partially without in editmode before was helpful?

If that's the case, then that's really not a good argument for a
separate UV mode. Working with 50k faces on that kind of computer
(assuming a reasonable grahics card) should really be fast enough. If
it's not, there is a problem somewhere that is fixable.

You can also try to investigate why it is slow for you. Like, does the
size of the image matter? Does disabling drawing of dashed edges in
the uv window view properties helps? Is it the 3d view or the uv
window that draws slow (move around in both of them)? Is transforming
in the uv window still slow with no 3d view visible?

jmsoler at free.fr wrote:
> Selon Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com>:
>
>> My reply to the issues you raise, feel free to add your own suggestions!
>> 1) Use Shift+LMB rather then Alt+LMB for creasing edges.  (as far as I
>> can tell this isnt taken)
>
> Alt-lmb is needed to emulate 3 buttons mouse, isn't it ?
>
> Creasing edge uses Ctrl-E, first and mouse movement to set the value, lmb t end.

I think there's isn't really a good key + mouse combination available.
I can't think of nice solution, besides some option that turns the
alt+(shift+)rmb key combinations into seam marking tools instead of
loop selection.

Brecht.