[Bf-committers] About 2.46 RC

Jarosław Kolmaga ignoreer at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 12:05:13 CET 2008

Hi again and thanks for answers.

About UV/Edit mode selecting - most of it's functionality can be redone in
UV+Edit mode, with just little changes, but it's not the problem in fact.
Bigger problem is power consumption of UV mode - I used to work on 1.8 duo
laptop, but even in my home, on 3.0 duo, selecting few k faces (can't tell
exact numbers) is making things slow... In UV-Edit mode, I can work on
specific selection on UV, then in Edit Mode unhide all and using v-groups
and materials specify next fragment and get back to work in UV. Also,
defining "done" and "undone" parts in UV-Edit is sweet because of that - I
don't know (and precisely - don't know) if that will be also so cool in
UV+Edit. Ad when it goes for power consumption, just unhiding (or
select-all'ing) 50k model part in UV Mode is enough to force me to take some
break - because I just must wait for it to load all that UV islands and
place it on 2048 map. I don't know, what part is that hard for processor -
maybe you, with your knowledge, will be able to specify it. Also, with few
k, basic operations on UV (rotate, scale, grab) are very unpleasant, as you
must wait long time for it to load - after that initialisation, it goes
smoothly, but you must re-wait for any next operation. That's why I was
forced to draw 'used' and 'unused' areas on UV test grid while UV Mapping -
I'm also worried about that functionality in new, UV+Edit mode.

So, if you are against separate UV Edit mode, what about turn it to
sub-mode? I can see this that way: every function or functions family turned
on and off as user wants it. It's not perfect of course, but it can help a
little. In future, it can be upgraded to cover more functions - for example,
edges definition sub-mode would be useful not only for seams marking, but
also for sharp marking and any other edge-property (I so frigginly dreams
about highlighting edges!) that can be added in future. Moreover, selection
restriction mode - I (erm... we? :) ) could use it a lot! For now, F-gons
restricts selection always in Edit Mode (not in UV Mode - another lost
functionality) and Seams restricts selection in UV mode. It would be even
more functional that both of now existing systems to make it selectable, and
again - its highly upgradable. So: FGon restrictions, Seams restrictions and
Sharp restrictions... How sounds it?