[Bf-committers] GSoc 2008 Proposal: Freestyle integration into Blender

Maxime Curioni maxime.curioni at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 16:08:49 CET 2008

Kent and Jean-Luc,
Thank you for your quick replies. I am delighted you think there is still
some room for such a project, provided I adapt it correctly for Blender's
usage. I am going to submit my proposal at the end of the month. Before I
that, I have to get myself acquainted with Blender's sources.

Kent's idea is excellent. I will definitely get the svn setup working
tomorrow and make sure it compiles. I will try my best in the weeks to come
to work on some small feature requests, but before that, I want to study the
developer docs on the wiki to get the essential info (probably all of next
week).

into Blender, I really do not know yet what implementation is most suitable
and that is something I will need someone to help me with. I appreciate your
feedback on the importance of keeping it 'artist friendly'. I am definitely
going to have to rethink what parts to keep and what parts to adapt. I
played a little with Freestyle tonight and I will read the corresponding
research paper tomorrow, to get more acquainted with the algorithm.

Two final questions:
- should I release drafts of my proposal on the wiki for your continuous
review?
- who should I contact to have more info on the rendering and compositor
modules?

I know the Blender team is pretty busy with the Peach project so I don't
want to feel like a drag to anybody. If someone is available to help me,
please let me know.

Thank you,
Maxime