[Bf-committers] Command Port Patch, Version 2, Blender 2.46, revision 15538

Dietrich Bollmann diresu at web.de
Fri Jul 18 15:09:41 CEST 2008

Hi Roger :)

On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 07:17 -0700, Roger Wickes wrote:
> This is very cool! Blender on a server can act like a graphical
> display station, being fed real-time data from clients.

Yes, that is how I am actually using it myself...

> I managed a Plant-floor Montoring System many years ago, and with this
> patch, I can see Blender being used to "see" what is going on there in
> the real-world as clients report their status through python commands
> to manipulate their object, changing color (green to red) as alerts
> are raised, pulsing in size perhaps when workloads are exceeded, and
> so on.

sounds interesting :)

It also should be possible to use the command port for motion tracking,
animating via external controllers, playing puppetry, ... in short
making some external tool or program control the Blender objects,
cameras, light etc. in realtime :)

Another related thing which should be made much easier with the command
port is the chaining together of Blender with other applications into
some kind of pipeline to automatically manipulate graphical data.

> Thank you!

Thank you very much for making me feel useful :)

> I can also see this useful for real-time financial/metric reporting,
> where you have a network of Blenders sharing data... Keep up the good
> work! Hope this makes it into 2.47.

So do I :)

By the way, did you try to to compile it?

I developed and tested everything on Debian sid - and would be very
curious to hear if it works without any changes on Windows and Mac
also...

It should as everything I use is Posix - but...

Cheers, Dietrich