[Bf-committers] Border select: slow redraw and input event processing

Carl Olsson carl.olsson at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 07:01:40 CEST 2008

Hi, all.

When using border select (both with the preselect cross-hairs and with
the selection box) I'm getting really slow and pretty much unusable
behaviour. This happens for me on both 64-bit Linux and 32-bit Windows
versions 2.45 and 2.46 (all I've tried).

I expect this is mostly the responsibility of slow rendering by my
graphics hardware (ATI 780G IGP), but to me it also seems that the way
blender is processing the input events is less than optimal.

When I move the mouse in border select mode the cross-hair/box lags
behind. It seems to insist on moving to every point the mouse cursor
passed over and redrawing every time, meaning that it doesn't just lag
one slow-draw behind the cursor but potentially many as the lag keeps
building up.

It looks as though it insists on redrawing after processing each and
every event, where I would think that processing all the events in the
queue then redrawing once would help reduce my problem and I wouldn't
expect it would cause problems for others and possible bring some
small performance improvement.

I've had a quick (rather random) mess with the code, but not had any
luck so far.

Anyone who's familiar with this code know if I'm on the right track or
got any other ideas about a my problem?

Thanks,
Carl Olsson

--