[Bf-committers] Blender Command Port

Dietrich Bollmann diresu at web.de
Mon Apr 14 05:09:46 CEST 2008

Hi Herman,

On Sun, 2008-04-13 at 10:51 +0200, Herman Bruyninckx wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Apr 2008, Dietrich Bollmann wrote:
>
> [...]
> >> This is certainly a useful feature, but personally, I'm not sure if
> >> further work on this patch as it stands is worth the effort at this
> >> point.
> >
> > Probably this is because you personally think about Blender as an
> > interactive GUI based tool for animation artists and do not understand
> > why somebody would wish to use Blender as a server anyway?
> >
> > I personally think the Blender server mode is a __VERY__ useful
> > feature.  Please ask also other people and think about their way of
> > using blender - for example Stani's way to use Blender from SPE!
>
> This server mode is also extremely useful in our robotics projects: we use
> Blender more and more as a 'realtime' visualiser of what is going on in our
> robots. And I see Blender able to become a major component in an open
> source alternative to Microsoft Robotics Studion...
>
> So, please keep on investing in a better command interface to Blender :-)

Thanks for your interest :)

This gives me new motivation to overwork my patch!

I will try to find the time to commit a new sized-down version working
with the current state of the Blender SVN repository as fast as possible!

Unfortunately I can only test my patch on Linux, as I do not have the
money to pay for a working MS development environment.  Hope the
MS port is not too difficult though :)

Greetings, Dietrich