[Bf-committers] hello all

Timothy Baldridge tbaldridge at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 15:14:40 CEST 2007

I'll mention this, writing any type of exporter for Blender is just
way too easy in Python. something along these lines

object = Object.get("myobj")
mesh = object.get("mymesh")

for v in mesh.verts:
        write(v)

We're talking less than 1000 lines to do a decent exporter. I know
nothing about DirectX, I'm a OpenGL man myself. But I'd really
recommend that you look at the Blender Python documentation and the
Python Tutorials from the Python website. If you know C and C++ it'll
take you about two days to learn python. And we'll put it this way, my
13 year old kid brother spent about 2 hours a few months back and made
a model exporter to allow him to create models in Blender and run them
in some old DOS based flight simulator he had.

And FYI, comments like this are probably better suited for discussion
on the forums in Blender, since this mailing list is directed more
towards C/C++ development the Blender internals.

Timothy

On 9/11/07, Christopher Bellow <cbellow at windstream.net> wrote:

> I am interested in getting involved with blender. I am new to python, but I
> have a lot of experience in C type languages (C, C++, C#).  I am familiar
> with SVN, we use it exclusively at my work.  I wanted to get into the
> graphics/game programming industry and learn a bit. To start off, I tried
> using the latest DirectX SDK from microsoft and I got my application
> started. Instead of populating the vertices programmically, I wanted to use
> a tool, and blender seemed a good fit. However, the DirectX exporter didn't
> work (I'm using the 2.44 version). I tried a third party exporter, and it
> was able to load, but it turned my subsurfed surface into a plain box. And
> with the spirit of it being open source, I wanted to see about how I can
> help since I am able to use your tool. So if it hasn't been done already, I
> might start at the DirectX exporter script (which should get me into python
> a bit I hope.)  In the meantime, feel free to share a little bit about
> blender and its proposed goals. Maybe I can help do bug fixes for a bit til
> I get familiar with the framework.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Christopher Bellow
> Software Engineer
> QSR Automations

If you put tomfoolery into a computer, nothing comes out but
tomfoolery. But this tomfoolery, having passed through a very
expensive machine, is somehow ennobled and no one dares criticize it.
(Pierre Gallois)