[Bf-committers] Qdune code

Dietrich Bollmann diresu at web.de
Thu Nov 8 07:03:25 CET 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 16:36 +1100, Jonathan Merritt wrote:
> On 08/11/2007, at 4:17 PM, Joe Eagar wrote:
>
> > David Bryant wrote:
> >> Maybe I'm taking a shot in the dark but,have you examined Aqsis'
> >> source code? It's rederman compliant.
> > Aqsis is currently the slowest REYES renderer around (though the devs
> > are trying to improve things).  Its also not as complete as, say
> > Pixie,
> > which has ray tracing (with ray differential-based caching) etc.
>

> What is the basis for that claim?  Can you please provide some hard
> figures to back up claims of speed, and some tested feature lists to
> back up claims of "completeness"?
>
> I challenge your assertions on the basis of the results of the Aqsis
> test suite, which runs by default on Pixie, Aqsis, PRMan, 3Delight,
> etc.  One quick run through the output of those tests hilights
> numerous bugs in Pixie which have remained un-addressed through the
> addition of many snazzy new features, while Aqsis aims to be far more
> feature-complete.  The tests are also timed, and your assertions about
> rendering speed are way off for most geometric primitive types.  The
> data is there, if you'd care to run the tests on your platform and
> confirm the results...

To me it sounds strange to use a test suite of one of the renderers to
evaluate the others.  Wouldn't it be strange if the renderer the test
suite belongs to wouldn't win the tests it was developed with??

How about writing a Blender test suite testing those things which are
important for Blender?

Sorry for adding my opinion :) ... I am just following the discussion by
curiosity ...