[Bf-committers] Qdune code

Jonathan Merritt j.merritt at pgrad.unimelb.edu.au
Thu Nov 8 06:36:43 CET 2007

On 08/11/2007, at 4:17 PM, Joe Eagar wrote:

> David Bryant wrote:
>> Maybe I'm taking a shot in the dark but,have you examined Aqsis'
>> source code? It's rederman compliant.
> Aqsis is currently the slowest REYES renderer around (though the devs
> are trying to improve things).  Its also not as complete as, say
> Pixie,
> which has ray tracing (with ray differential-based caching) etc.

What is the basis for that claim?  Can you please provide some hard
figures to back up claims of speed, and some tested feature lists to
back up claims of "completeness"?

I challenge your assertions on the basis of the results of the Aqsis
test suite, which runs by default on Pixie, Aqsis, PRMan, 3Delight,
etc.  One quick run through the output of those tests hilights
numerous bugs in Pixie which have remained un-addressed through the
addition of many snazzy new features, while Aqsis aims to be far more
feature-complete.  The tests are also timed, and your assertions about
rendering speed are way off for most geometric primitive types.  The
data is there, if you'd care to run the tests on your platform and
confirm the results...

Pixie may have raytracing, but its implementations of many far more
basic features are severely lacking.  It is *definitely* not more
complete than Aqsis.  This is just plain mis-information!

Jonathan Merritt.