[Bf-committers] supporting 6Dof devices on blender.

Jean-Luc Peurière jlp at nerim.net
Sun May 20 12:26:08 CEST 2007

Le 20 mai 07 à 01:02, Ettore Pasquini a écrit :

>> Still we wont be able to distribute the plugin with blender itself.
>
> Do you think the new license is still incompatible (beside the
> issue) ?
>
> Please let me know a full list of all related problems. We want to
> solve all
> of them as much as we can, but first I need to know them. :-)

The GPL is strict on what can be distributed in the same package as a
GPL
application, and this is one thing we cannot overlook. Only GPL and LGPL
code can be packaged together.

from a previous thread here :

> Here's an interesting answer from the FSF in a similar case with
> GStreamer:
>
> -------------
> Q: If a program released under the GPL uses a library that is LGPL,
> and
> this library can dlopen plug-ins at runtime, what are the requirements
> for the license of the plug-in ?
>
> A: You may not distribute the plug-in with the GPL application.
> Distributing the plug-in alone, with the knowledge that it will be
> used
> primarily by GPL software is a bit of an edge case. We will not advise
> you that it would be safe to do so, but we also will not advise you
> that it would be absolutely forbidden.

So offering the plug-in as a separate download on blender.org servers
should not be a problem.
In the worst case we have to put GHOST under LGPL.

The FSF has always a narrow interpretation of the GPL, so their advice
is a warranty we are not voiding our own license.

Note that i'm neither a lawyer nor able to decide for Blender
foundation.
Ton Roosendal will have to check and decide.

--
JLuc
!DSPAM:18,4650247336371186341206!