[Bf-committers] SOC Idea

Scott Johnson scottj at cs.umn.edu
Sun Mar 18 17:29:14 CET 2007

Hi Everyone!

I am planning on applying this year for the Google Summer of Code, with
Blender.  I have spoken with Kent Mein, and I think that a redesign of
the plugin API might be a good project.  Specifically, since the API as
it stands now is really structured (in terms of data structures) towards
either sequence or texture plugins, it might be better if the system was
re-worked to be a bit more general, for extensibility.  In addition, I
had planned on adding operations which will enable automatic recognition
of installed plugins (I understand there are problems at the moment, due
to the plugin system relying on filenames as an index, which causes
problems when operating systems are changed).

Basically, what I'd like to know is if there are any suggestions on
other things that I might be able to work on at the same time.  I really
like this idea, because, as it was explained to me, there are a number
of different directions one can go in with this redevelopment of the
plugin API.  If I had time, I might be able to even begin working on
some of the plugins themselves, making sure they conform to the new API.

Thanks for any input!

~Scott

--
 ______________
|Scott Johnson  \___________________________
| PhD Student                               |
| Department of Computer Science            |
| University of Minnesota                   |
| Office: Walter 460                        |
| Office Phone: 612-625-1257                |
| Web: http://www.cs.umn.edu/~scottj        |
| Email: scottj at cs.umn.edu                  |
| IRC Nick: jwir3                           |