[Bf-committers] Need summer of code advice

Michael Robinson fractalgfx at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 23:55:22 CET 2007

Hi,

I could use some more advice from SOC proposal.  I've put together a
long list of possible improvements to the video sequence editor.

Several of the big items are:

offline (resolution independent) editing
EDL import/export
Better integration with the compositor
Basic multichannel audio mixing

I also want to implement an alternative to using IPO curves, by
rendering sequences a colored gradients.  The effects can be
controlled by grabing handles inside the sequence.  I made a very
crude mock up:

http://www.apeinspace.com/blender_blend.png

I have also identified a lot of small to trivial tasks.  For example,
the sequence editor does not have markers, which is extremely
inconsistent with the rest of the application.  It only took me a
couple of hours to get markers working, but these little detials add
up.

It seems that most developers feel that a SOC project should be one
big singular task.     I find this a bit discouraging, because the
sequencer provides more small to moderate size tasks than I could
complete.

PS:

I have since come to the conclusion that given the state of Blender's
audio system, channel mixing would be much harder than I originally
thought.