[Bf-committers] Render API: Framework and Scene Break-Down

GSR gsr.b3d at infernal-iceberg.com
Thu Jun 7 23:21:14 CEST 2007

Hi,
j.merritt at pgrad.unimelb.edu.au (2007-06-07 at 1301.54 +1000):
> > Frame Access: From an exporter standpoint (And *specifically* for
> > Renderman support), a float-based frame access method becomes
> > neccessary. The current integer-based method doesn't hold up well for
> > situations with motion blur in other renderers.
>
> I was wondering about this though.  I don't have many contacts out in
> the "real world" of RenderMan users.  Do people *really* use more than
> two transformations per RiMotion block?  Is it common in production?  I
> just remember building a particle system many years ago where I went to
> great pains to allow an arbitrary number of transformations per motion
> block (if Nicholas Yue is reading this: yes, partsys died a long time
> ago!), and I was terribly disappointed that people couldn't see the
> difference in any of my animations. :-/

Float based access also allows other things, like faster motion blur
with non supporting (or brute) renderers via postpro (Blender internal
would benefit from such control too). In RMan ones, I can see where it
will mater easily, anything with circular motion like propellers or
wheels. Note: Blender uses floats, but at some levels they are
"rounded" thus disallowing total control of time line (or needs
patches or weird hacks).

GSR