[Bf-committers] GREYCstoration node for Blender

olivier.saraja at free.fr olivier.saraja at free.fr
Tue Jun 5 13:45:30 CEST 2007

Hey all,

has any of you either heard of GREYCstoration? It's a small programm that does
some 2D non-linear interpolation with respect to color and edge flow in a 2D
picture. The three main usages are:
* de-noising/smoothing of pictures, without loss on the borders of pictural
elements
* re-sizing (withour pixelation)
* inpainting (reconstruction of missing areas of pictures)
The first usage could be very interesting for Blender.

The original programm project can be seen here:
http://www.greyc.ensicaen.fr/~dtschump/greycstoration/

The samples in the demo are quite amazing
(http://www.greyc.ensicaen.fr/~dtschump/greycstoration/demonstration.html). I
could see an immediate application of this programm in Blender for smoothing
Ambient Occlusion passes, and for post-pro in Composide node Editor. Basically,
it will let the blender-head to use fewer samples, for a fair amount of quality,
and without much noise (or no noise at all).

This feature could come either within a Tab showing when Ambient Occlusion is
ON, or as a Composite node. Or perhaps both. Plugins already exist for Gimp,
krita and DigiKam so I *guess* it's also possible to add to Blender.

Of course, this could be interpreted as a feature request, as I'm not a coder,
but I'm willing to try to add this feature to Blender myself if nobody is
interested in coding it. But if I try to do it myself, I'll probably need
guidance and support from a patient mentor that will accept to cope with some
stupid questions regarding coding trivia and Blender's code, of course.

One point to note: the License of GREYCstoration is CeCILL:
http://www.greyc.ensicaen.fr/~dtschump/greycstoration/data/license.html
I'm willing to contact the author (he is french) if you think there could
be any legal issue in using this code in Blender. The algorithms are already in
use with Gimp, Krita, DigiKam and a few others, so I guess it won't be a
difficulty to re-use in Blender also.

Is the project interesting? Is anybody willing to work on it? Is there anybody
willing to mentor me on this project?

--
olivS