[Bf-committers] Rotating the Local View

Diego Hernan Borghetti bdiego at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 18:58:43 CEST 2007

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007, Bob Wenzlaff (AB8TD) wrote:

> Am I missing something?
>
> If I have an object in local view (NUMPAD-/), and then switch the
> view to the object's
> local axis (NUMPAD-*), the object is squared-up to the screen Y up, X
> to the right, and Z out of the screen*. The Numpad-8 and Numpad-2
> work as I expect (rotation about the object's X-axis, but  the
> Numpad-4 and Numbad-6 don't rotate about the object's Z  or Y Axis as
> I'd expect.  I think they're still rotating about a global axis,
> though it doesn't seem exact.
>
> This makes "blocking" a scene difficult, as you can't get fine axis
> control for editing a placeholder object at a later date.  To
> properly edit, you need to be able to get to a local top, side, and
> front view.    Or is this a case of  "experienced user never quite
> getting to that feature" syndrome.
>
> On an unrelated note, the clipping range for a camera now goes to
> 5000, but the 3D view camera only goes to 1000.  You can easily make
> a large scene that is difficult to edit, because most of the objects
> aren't  viewable in the 3d Window.

Take care that the clipend of the camera isn't limit to 5000, it's:
 	clipend = grid * 5000.0

where grid is the "spacing" option in the "View Properties" panel.. and
the clipend of the 3d (Perspective View) is:
 	clipend = grid * 10000.0

and the clipstart is limit to 100.0 in 3d (Perspective View) and for
camera:
 	clipstart = 100.0 * grid

> Det. Thorn.
>

> --