[Bf-committers] Rotating the Local View

Bob Wenzlaff (AB8TD) rwenzlaff at soylent-green.com
Thu Jul 26 16:44:45 CEST 2007

Am I missing something?

If I have an object in local view (NUMPAD-/), and then switch the
view to the object's
local axis (NUMPAD-*), the object is squared-up to the screen Y up, X
to the right, and Z out of the screen*. The Numpad-8 and Numpad-2
work as I expect (rotation about the object's X-axis, but  the
Numpad-4 and Numbad-6 don't rotate about the object's Z  or Y Axis as
I'd expect.  I think they're still rotating about a global axis,
though it doesn't seem exact.

This makes "blocking" a scene difficult, as you can't get fine axis
control for editing a placeholder object at a later date.  To
properly edit, you need to be able to get to a local top, side, and
front view.    Or is this a case of  "experienced user never quite
getting to that feature" syndrome.

On an unrelated note, the clipping range for a camera now goes to
5000, but the 3D view camera only goes to 1000.  You can easily make
a large scene that is difficult to edit, because most of the objects
aren't  viewable in the 3d Window.

Det. Thorn.