[Bf-committers] GPLv3 Released (for license gurus).

Martin Poirier theeth at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 1 17:57:58 CEST 2007

--- Shaul Kedem <shaul.kedem at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/1/07, Campbell Barton <cbarton at metavr.com>
> wrote:
> > * do we care about 'tivoization'?
>
> I think it is worth thinking about, scenarios which
> come to mind: a
> farm which gives special rendering services over
> blender but won't
> open the code, hardware with blender optimizations
> which don't share
> the code, blender game engine used as the bases of a
> console (yeah, I
> know that right now this all sounds like a leap)

That's not quite what tivoization entails since
distributing binaries and not source is already
covered by V2 (and TiVO does distribute source, IIRC).
What is targetted in this clause is hardware software
locking, say, if someone distribute preinstalled
renderfarm nodes with Blender on them but used
hardware/software signing to prevent the nodes from
running versions of Blender not signed with their
private key or if Sony released Blender GE support in
their PS4 but prevented it from running any home built
versions (without locks).

Martin