[Bf-committers] Re: [Bf-blender-cvs] CVS commit: blender/release/scripts uvpaint.py knife.py disp_paint.py animation_empties2armature.py

Campbell Barton cbarton at metavr.com
Mon Jan 29 13:01:53 CET 2007

jmsoler at free.fr wrote:
> Selon Campbell Barton <cbarton at metavr.com>:
>
>> campbellbarton (Campbell Barton) 2007/01/29 11:20:21 CET
>>
>>   Removed files:
>>     blender/release/scripts uvpaint.py knife.py disp_paint.py
>>                             animation_empties2armature.py
>>
>>   Log:
>>   removing redundant scripts because of new features in blender after
>> discussion with LetterRip.
>>
>>   disp_paint.py - Displacement modifier and sculpt mode replace.
>>   uv_paint.py - making can be used to write colors to an image.
>>   animation_empties2armature.py - Was made when BVH importer could not import
>> direct to armature, Resulting animation has visible errors, errors have been
>> known about for a long time and not fixed.
>>   knife.py - Old slow code, No Multi-UV's, We now have a knife tool that has
>> snap!
>>
>>   If anyone wants to maintain these scripts and have them added back in, mail
>> the bf-python ML.
>>
>>   Scripts that are removed can be found here.hen
>>

> these scripts were maintened, and are always maintened, at least uvpaint an
> disp_paint . they have a lot of other features than baking colors or
> displacement . No more comment about this, it seems that you too happy to remove
> them .
>
> http://projects.blender.org/viewcvs/viewcvs.cgi/blender/release/scripts/Attic/?cvsroot=bf-blender
>
> I am the author of the scripts uvpaint an disp_paints and you, or letterrip,
> have no  right to attribute these scripts to anybody else .  Please, respect the
> GPL licence .
>
> As for other scripts that you did not update in the bundle since months, the
> last version can be found on my site :
> http://jmsoler.free.fr/didacticiel/blender/tutor/cpl_uvpainting_en.htm
> http://jmsoler.free.fr/didacticiel/blender/tutor/cpl_displacementpainting_en.htm

1) scripts exist that do things blender cant but its not a rationale for
inclusion by its self.
2) be spesific, what can your scripts do that Blender cant with the
built in tools. maybe we were un-aware and the script should be added
back in.
3) I assumed you would have submitted a patch or mailed the list for any
important update. its so close to release and you havnt notified anyone
about your changes.
4) nobody is contesting the author of scripts.