[Bf-committers] Re: 64 bits Blender

pangelo at dcc.online.pt pangelo at dcc.online.pt
Sun Jan 21 02:13:13 CET 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-19 at 21:43 -0500, Jingyuan Huang wrote:
> The Blender Janitor project would be perfect for people like me who
> would like to contribute but are still new to the application.
>
> I have been reading mailing list for a little while and reading some
> parts of the blender code as well as wiki. Unfortunately I haven't
> written any patches though I do have some vague ideas in my mind. I'm
> also a bit hesitant whether to start coding or not due to my lack of
> knowledge (it's hard for new devs to identify the difficulty of a
> problem and the time line for it.) It would be nice if there's a
> special to-do list with relatively simple problems and new developers
> can start with those tasks first.

So I see I'm not the only one :)

Actually, as far as I can tell, there's no shortage of small coding jobs
and bugfixes that can be tackled by developers new to the Blender
codebase. For example, you can check the bugtracker
<http://projects.blender.org/tracker/?atid=125&group_id=9&func=browse>
or this report about a recent statical analysis of Blender
<http://www.blender.org/bf/20061123_report.txt>

What I feel is needed is some guidance to new developers on how to go
about getting to know the source and start fixing things.

Cheers,
p.