[Bf-committers] 64 bits Blender

Davide Vercelli davide.vercelli at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 11:14:29 CET 2007

On 1/20/07, Alexander Ewering <blender at instinctive.de> wrote:
> Sorry, but I don't think that's the way to go. That's like saying "Abolish
> the driver's license, instead hand people a 500-page book on how to drive,
> with comments like "STOP AT THIS SIGN!!!" and "THIS IS THE RIGHT WAY TO
> HANDLE 200 MPH ON MOTORWAYS"" ... they still won't do any good ;)

Ok, on the other hand, people that do have a driving license cause
accidents and kill other people all the time. So no, it's rare but
this time I don't agree with you at all. Code reviews are a good thing
for everyone... even Ton writes some buggy code from time to time ;)

Moreover: let me say that the vast majority of experienced C
programmers may pay a lot of attention to and have a lot of
understanding of memory management bugs and logical bugs in general
(and still insert some every now and then), but may not have any
experience or training in 64 bit friendliness, endianness, and maybe
even thread safety. I think a page as RCRuiz said with a decalogue of
things to check in your code before posting your patch in the tracker
or committing it, would be both nice and useful, and certainly not
harmful.

UncleZeiv