[Bf-committers] Reducing email overhead

jonathan ferguson jdpf at edumetrics.org
Mon Jan 8 20:54:48 CET 2007

hi.

I'm in favor of leaving the list as it stands. Please don't change
it. Here's why:

Keeping the discussions posting to the list helps to keep them
public. When people post extra stuff to the list, the list becomes
friendlier--- and people are more willing to send queries and post
final solutions.

Solutions when posted to the list are much more readily researched
(as one only need to search their inbox, or bf-commiters folder or
google the list archive). That reduces overhead--- because commiters
can say: go  here. It's easier to track threads too--- on lists that
go part-private default reply to sender only, people frequently only
post part of their conversations--- without realizing it at all. I've
seen this, and it tends to make lists quite unfriendly and hard to
use. Worse, that leads to extra traffic and confusion. [And
"confusion leads to suffering, and suffering leads to anger, and
anger leads to hate and hate leads to the Dark Side!"]

Yoda aside, like Kent, I'd rather have more email that i filter and
quickly skim, than broken email threads, and email i don't have
access to immediately--- if ever... Contributors come and go, and
what proof do they leave, but comments on this list (and others) and
forums. Lists push the information into people's boxes, but forums do
not. RSS helps with the "push" idea, but it only goes half-way. Lists
keep people reminded--- and involved---  sure there can be too much
"reminding" but modern email clients can help reduce that if people
so wish (threads, filters, etc).

Finally, having to deal with this problem is a wonderful sign: Lots
of people have interest and want to volunteer for the blender
project. Way to go developers, evangelists, artists and users! In the
dot org era, are not such large groups of people just so very
important to the success of the project overall? The bf-commiter's
list isn't just mindless traffic. It is all relevant to the blender
project. The project is bigger than it has been, no? I strongly feel
that such growth should be encouraged by keeping discussions open and
public.

have a nice day.yad
jdpf