[Bf-committers] Mo' layer goodness

GSR gsr.b3d at infernal-iceberg.com
Sat Dec 22 12:51:06 CET 2007

Hi,
aceone at bellsouth.net (2007-12-21 at 1824.33 -0500):
> If you do high end archectectual renders and mechanical 3D like I do, it
> makes all the difference in the world.And it makes animation sets much esier
> to manage on a large production scale.No one is trying to copy anyone else
> but only to make Blender more powerful.Layers are scene organization
> tools.how you go about it is basic.All cars have round tires for a reason.It
> works.Basically we're improving on an already old idea.

See, it really sounds like you are obsessed. I said there are other
things that provide organization, like Blender groups (and that at
first glance sounded a lot like Maya layers... maybe they are
practically the same, I declare my Maya knowledge is lacking, so maybe
they are not... one thing is sure, there is no 20 limit with them and
they got names already) or outliner. Maybe one of those is what needs
the improvement. Instead you keep on pushing and ignoring any other
path, what is more, sometimes it sounds like you are completly
ignorant of other Blender systems, so it is hard to reason with such
approach, it is more like a ram head to head fight, pure attrition.
Global view of the issues?  Complete the possibilities of some tools
that need polish and leave alone old system instead of streching them?
Introduce some consistency back? Who needs that?  No. Layers, layers,
layers.

You are not the first with a layer patch or script, but you seem the
one making the biggest noise with it. You point at the battlefield,
and my fear is that your stubborness will make other people follow you
to that battle, and then lose it, instead of retreat, let you run out
of steam (or go fight alone) and choose the right battle in which all
users win.

GSR