[Bf-committers] c-variable binding to ID Properties

Peter Schlaile peter at schlaile.de
Sun Apr 29 16:32:50 CEST 2007

Hi,

since joeedh wasn't totally sure, if this doesn't break the idea of a
property system, I wanted to ask, if everyone is fine with the following
idea (and patch:
http://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=6594&group_id=9&atid=127)

To make life easier for plugin authors in the upcoming plugin system, I
currently develop, I needed a feature to
a) store plugin variables persistently
   (conclusion was, that properties are best suited)
b) access those plugin variables in a very easy manner for plugin
   authors
   (don't force authors to always use get_ / set_property and check for
   type)

The easiest way, I came up with, was to add the ability to bind the
property directly to a C-variable, thereby reducing the work of the plugin
author to a single function call, that binds all his variables in one
step, that checks for type in one place.

Are there any concerns in adding this feature to the ID property system?

There are already two property systems within Blender and I didn't want to
add a third one...

Greetings,
Peter