[Bf-committers] Screen dump - OpenGL content

Rui Campos rcampos at fusemail.com
Mon Sep 11 18:43:42 CEST 2006

Hi all,

I'm researching a bit on screen capture and Blender, hoping to help on
creating a video recording facility into Blender.

The hardest thing is that Blender is full OpenGL and grabbing an OpenGL
screen isn't that easy, specially if we want to do a 25fps video out of
it.

Currently Blender uses glReadPixels to dump the OpenGL screen content, but
this is slow, not very slow on high end cards and for one screen dump, but
to achieve 25fps, it is.

Now, someone mentioned P-Buffers and some different calls at the OpenGL
foruns for the slowliness of glReadPixels, but since I'm not too versed on
OpenGL I really don't know where to start on this.

Does anyone know a faster way to do OpenGL screen capture ?

I would like to help implement a video capture functionality into Blender
and try to get it running at the Blender Conference to record the
workshops, so, if someone has some info or help on this I would be really
happy about it.

Thanks,

-- Rui --