[Bf-committers] Re: [Bf-blender-cvs] CVS commit: blender/source/blender/makesdna DNA_material_types.h blender/source/blender/render/intern/source convertblender.c imagetexture.c rendercore.c texture.c blender/source/blender/src buttons_shading.c

Tom M letterrip at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 22:01:53 CEST 2006

Ton,

>   - Tangent vectors now can also be derived from orcos (No UV needed)
>   - Normalmaps now properly support tangent space as well
>     (Patch provided by Alfredo de Greef)
>
>   Full log is here:
>   http://www.blender3d.org/cms/New_Render_features.774.0.html

>Since this type of normal mapping requires external tools too, normal
mapping now is fully >compatible (previously the scale of the Z vector
differed).

There are actually a number of different accepted ways to define
normal maps, I think ZBrush handles it by letting you choose your
preferred method.

"ATI and NVIDIA each use different normal map formats with their graphics chips.
Basically ATI expects the green channel to point the normal upwards,
while NVIDIA expects it to point downwards.
The MetalBump shader in 3ds max uses the NVIDIA method.
Mankua's Kaldera has the option to output either ATI or NVIDIA format.
I'm not sure about the other tools.
One sure-fire method to fix a map that's incompatible with your viewer
is to simply invert the green channel in your image editor of choice.
By inverting I mean the black pixels should be white, and the white
pixels should be black."

http://www.dpfiles.com/showthread.php?t=232

LetterRip