[Bf-committers] Bullet physics plans/status/update

Erwin Coumans erwin at erwincoumans.com
Sun Oct 15 21:17:16 CEST 2006

There are two separate things, and it is good not to mix them up.

1) My plan is to integrate Bullet rigid body dynamics more tightly inside
Blender, using a new generic C-API.

2) Allowing different physics systems (cloth, fluid, soft, rigid) to operate
together is a different topic, however interesting and useful. It is fairly
common to have some explicit two-way interaction, there has been quite a bit
of discussion on my physics forum about this.

So first I plan to develop a generic C-API for Bullet (that allows potential
future binding of ODE, PhysX rigidbody dynamics too), and look into adding
some UI that allows to assign rigid body constraints (perhaps automatically
turning an armature into a 'ragdoll'), export/import those constraints using
COLLADA, and bake/integrate the Bullet simulation in a better way (without
requiring running the game engine). This is enough to keep me busy.

Hope this clarifies things a bit,
Erwin