[Bf-committers] OSX compile scons use python 2.3

Ed Halley ed at halley.cc
Wed Nov 8 00:54:11 CET 2006

> On another note why does blender not support newer versions ?

Windows has no python at all, so the hassle of including python
support is equal regardless of version.

Linux has python, usually the latest stable release, though it
is pretty simple (for the typical Linux user) to upgrade or
downgrade or run parallel versions.

When OSX actually ships with a newer build of Python, we will
support it.  For now, OSX does not ship with Python 2.4, so
anyone using it has to go through technical steps that are not
what the typical OSX user wants to do.  As you have illustrated,
it is easy to install these experimental versions in
inconsistent and incomplete ways.

As is the case with all of the other dependencies of Blender,
we do not choose favorites for third-party tools like macports
or fink or tarball installations.  Python is too big for us to
just "embed" a private distribution of it in the Blender kit.

--
[ e d @ h a l l e y . c c ]