[Bf-committers] RE: Floats and dispview?

Salvatore Russo salvatore.russo at laposte.net
Wed May 17 17:02:10 CEST 2006

Hi,

For the pixel drawing, I only use texture drawing. But with
what you said Ton, these floats should not be a big problem
anymore in the near future so I will wait.

Concerning the rendering, I will give a better look on all the
new functionalities and follow your suggestions.

Thanks for your answer,
Salvatore

> Hi,
>
> 1)
> The OpenGL spec supports float buffer drawing since 1.0. I
did find out
> it's not extremely stable in all 3d cards, and slower even.
So I'll
> look at making this a built-in display feature of the render
pipeline
> (already does for display of composite buffers in image window).
>
> The Node preview images also use float btw; but here it uses
texture
> drawing, which is pretty fast.
>
> 2)
> Well; first there's the SHIFT+P preview now, much more advanced.
> The old "disp view" failed a lot in usability. I rather
first look at
> making the Image Window also show renders and render
updates. That's
> more close to the "single window" Blender paradigm, and will
work for
> you nicely too.
>
> BTW: It can work in several ways:
> - use the already available image window (nice for dual
monitor setups)
> - like File selecting; temporally turning current window
into imageview
> - opening a new (temporal) Blender Screen with a full size
image window

> -Ton-
>

> On 16 May, 2006, at 15:19, Salvatore Russo wrote:
>
> > Hallo,
> >
> > I am trying to update BlenderPocket to the new CVS sources.
> > Thinks are working fine but I am afraid about two points:
> >
> > 1) Now floats are used to draw pixels. OpenGL ES doesn't use
> > floats so I am converting each pixels from float to the
> > original unsigned char. It works fine but of course, it is a
> > big big task for our tiny devices.
> > Is there a way to not use these floats without changing
> > heavilly the code? In the documentation, it is ever specified
> > : float are used by default. Does it mean that we can
change it?

www.laposte.net ;