[Bf-committers] GSOC projects

Tom M letterrip at gmail.com
Thu May 4 02:37:41 CEST 2006

Personally I hope you'll apply for the hair related tools.

>  1. A new mesh/animation tool that would permit morphing from one mostly

That seems a fairly small project

>  2. Try to develop a full non-photorealistic rendering engine that can
>  do cartoon, painterly, and various pencil sketching renderings.

There is a GPLed engine for NPR doesn't do painterly effects that I'm aware of

http://freestyle.sourceforge.net/

>  3. Implement easier controls for hair styles and possibly some simulation
> for  hair deformation. I skimmed through some of the paper on the competitive
>  analysis wiki page. This one I'm still working out what the goal will look
> like. Some preliminary ideas involve different hair guide shapes like points  and  different
>  types of field around curves.

This page?
http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/Competitive_Analysis/Particle_System

Also look at the implementation done by Cinema 4D

http://www.maxon.net/pages/products/c4d/modules/hair/hair_e.html

the highlight tour on the left.

There are other nice hair implementations to look at which are interesting

shave and a haircut, and a few others that I can't think of off the
top of my head, but that I'll email you later if you like,

LetterRip