[Bf-committers] Blender command line args

Chris Want cwant at ualberta.ca
Tue Mar 21 03:51:40 CET 2006

Campbell Barton wrote:
> Hi All.
> when adding some extra command line args to creator.c and realized some
> issues with command line args.
> like-
> *order of args is very important- since some are executed in the order
> they are given.
> *You need a space after the arg -x 1 works while -x1 dosent :/
> *for spaces in the name you need to use ""
>
> Could we have a --examples switch that explains this and shows some
> examples? that or an extended help that has a section on formatting
> switches.
> - Cam

Hey Campbell,

First, I'd like I'm not too keen on the format you chose
for specifying the frame number, i.e., "c:\renders\render_#.png".
That I would do instead is use a C format code such as
"c:\renders\render_%06d.png" (in this particular example, frame
numbers are zero padded and six digits long), so that there is
more flexibility in numbering frames.

Regarding the commandline, and order of args, etc., this came up
a bit quite a while ago when I was planning to pass args to
python through the commandline. The main point is that the
order of args is important so that you can treat batch rendering
as a sequence of actions on various files. Here are the relevant
emails:

http://projects.blender.org/pipermail/bf-committers/2005-March/010303.html
http://projects.blender.org/pipermail/bf-committers/2005-March/010304.html
http://projects.blender.org/pipermail/bf-committers/2005-March/010308.html