[Bf-committers] Status of GameEngine Sound?

Carsten Wartmann carsten.wartmann at imago-viva.de
Tue Jun 20 13:03:26 CEST 2006

Erwin Coumans wrote:

> Hi Carsten,

Hello Erwin!

> Did Blender 2.41 release have sound for your platform? Upcoming
> Blender 2.42 should be exactly the same, because no work has been done
> in that area.

Well, after some testig with blender-2.41-linux-glibc232-py23-i386  I
have following:

- If I stop the esd daemon, I have sound in the GE
- The sound is *very* "dirty" and noisy

- esddsp to wrap "old style /dev/(sound)/dsp" apps to work with esd,
crashes with Blender

I tested numerous players, via /dev/dsp (OSS), ALSA, SDL etc. and the
sound is always clear, also with other players the esddsp wrapper works
well.

> It would be good to upgrade to recent OpenAL for all platforms (I
> asked for it before).
> But that is too late for 2.42 release, perhaps 2.43?

Maybe, I must admit that I don`t really understand the sound parts in
Blender, I guess in GE there is no SDL used? So in OpenAL is it possible
to use a different backend(?) for sound output?

Regards,
Carsten