[Bf-committers] Transmissivity

Ed Halley ed at halley.cc
Fri Jun 16 21:06:43 CEST 2006

On Jun 16, 2006, at 2:59 PM, Alexander Ewering wrote:
> Wasn't Blender recently using an even/odd rule instead of normals
> to decide
> in/out for RT?

IOR isn't about whether some point is inside or outside a media.  IOR is
about comparing densities on both sides of an interface.

And just to be clear, unless I see a .blend otherwise, the original
question
had nothing to do with transmissivity, per se, just refraction in
general.

However, there is another element here to consider:  TIR.  Total
internal
reflection can cause a ray that's traveling through the water to
bounce off
the water bubble, and thus remain in the water (and thus make things
look
denser sometimes).  Previously, this issue was not handled correctly
by the
tracer, and if we need some artistic control over TIR, I can add it
in the
2.43 timeframe very easily.

--
[ e d @ h a l l e y . c c ]