[Bf-committers] Newbies and Blender

Chris Want cwant at ualberta.ca
Sat Jun 10 18:14:31 CEST 2006

Robert Wenzlaff (AB8TD) wrote:
> On Friday 09 June 2006 23:55, Doug Ollivier wrote:
>

>>Even for experienced users the /tmp directory is a huge problem. (auto
>>saves not saving is a major cause of wasted time for me)
>

> It isn't saved in a normal .blend file, but it is saved in your B.Blend file
> (CTRL-U).
>
> Does Blender create the B.Blend in a system specific way? Or is a stock one
> just dumped from code?  If the latter, then  an #ifdef WINDOWS can take care
> of that like in the B.Blend.  But error checking should be done in any case.
> After all, if someone is browsing their HD sees a directory labled "temp"
> they might assume it's OK to delete.  Then the next time they run Blender
> (could be weeks later), no safety net.

I guess that the default scene does not contain any system
specific 'intelligence'.

I never copied over a .B.blend file, but it was still looking for
stuff in /tmp, e.g., when I tried to restore a user's file by
pressing the 'open recent' in the autosave panel, it said

"Can't open /tmp\97239.blend"

(the mixmatched /'s are not a mistake on my part, but
part of what the output said).

I thought blender used disk as part of the global undo
system? Undo seemed to work OK during the lab.
Why can't it use the same directory for temp
files that it uses for dumping undo steps when the
specified undo dir is not found? Just a thought.

Chris