[Bf-committers] Newbies and Blender

Robert Wenzlaff (AB8TD) rwenzlaff at soylent-green.com
Sat Jun 10 16:30:43 CEST 2006

On Friday 09 June 2006 23:55, Doug Ollivier wrote:

> Even for experienced users the /tmp directory is a huge problem. (auto
> saves not saving is a major cause of wasted time for me)

It isn't saved in a normal .blend file, but it is saved in your B.Blend file
(CTRL-U).

Does Blender create the B.Blend in a system specific way? Or is a stock one
just dumped from code?  If the latter, then  an #ifdef WINDOWS can take care
of that like in the B.Blend.  But error checking should be done in any case.
After all, if someone is browsing their HD sees a directory labled "temp"
they might assume it's OK to delete.  Then the next time they run Blender
(could be weeks later), no safety net.

While it is a unix standard, /tmp isn't a very convienient place to put
backups anyway.  I have a Blender directory and it's four steps off root.
Also if I'm working on multiple .blend files (either at the same time, or one
after the other) all the numbered files just get lumped together.

And the timestamped file names is rather inconvienient, too.  Maybe the last
autobackup could be named "LastBlenderFile_xxxxx.blend (where xxxxx is to
ensure uniqueness) and when saving the next autobackup rename the
LastBlender_xxxxx to the timestamp.

In addition to the warning screen when the dir does not exist I think the
following should be added:

A "./" option in temp directory to sve autobackups in the same dir as the
opened .blend file (or even "./temp").  I think on most systems "./" would be
the directory of the executable so maybe "" (or some other token) should be
assumed as the .blend dir.

A token such as {CURRENTPATH} would be nice in that you could set paths such
as {CURRENTPATH}/temp for auto save, and {CURRENTPATH}/render for the output.

Rendering over another project's finished work is another possible Newbie
error.  Condidering that some of the renders could be hours of CPU time per
frame, this is a mistake that desparately needs to be side stepped.  A
ExpandTokens(char *name) that had many tokens ({CURRENTPATH}, {FILENAME},
{DATETIME}, etc).  Would be very useful for setting up a B.Blend that would
make each new .blend behave the same way relative to itself.

Does Blender actually use the Temp dir for anything else?  Maybe a separate
Autosave dir (set on the auto save window) should be added.

       I prefer Rush to G. Gordon Liddy.
        After all, the Watergate Tapes
        can't hold a candle to either
         "2112" or "Moving Pictures".