[Bf-committers] Re: Makefiles - OpenEXR and python on ubuntu linux

GSR gsr.b3d at infernal-iceberg.com
Mon Jul 17 18:30:40 CEST 2006

Hi,
blender at djc.people.sgalliance.com (2006-07-17 at 0115.26 -0700):
> > Currently in CVS, it's looking in /usr/local (nan_definitions.mk: 123)
> > where at least on Ubuntu it should be looking in /usr. I see that the
> > other Linux options below are all looking in /usr too. Should this be
> > changed for linux/OpenEXR? I don't know if that would impact on other
> > distributions.
> We'll have to look at various options there and map which distros do
> which.  It's likely that this was setup when most people were compiling
> OpenEXR by hand where it would install itself in /usr/local as opposed
> to /usr... nowadays quite a few distributions include OpenEXR in their
> package management systems and this can likely change.

I would try to figure which systems use pkgconfig and if many/all
linux distros do that (which I guess is mostly all by now, as many
other "basic in Linux" software require, not just allow, pkg-config
for building), use the following lines (for static linked) and thus
make it work in many/all:

NAN_OPENEXR=$(shell pkg-config --variable=prefix OpenEXR )
NAN_OPENEXR_INC=$(shell pkg-config --cflags OpenEXR )
NAN_OPENEXR_LIBS=$(addprefix ${NAN_OPENEXR}/lib/lib,$(addsuffix .a,$(shell pkg-config --libs OpenEXR | sed -s "s/-l//g" )))

What about commiting something like this and see how many people
complain? In worst case it would mean people have to install pkgconfig
if they had not built anything ever, but no big problem about finding
it as it should be in many/all distros already.

Or just go with /usr as with other system level libs, otherwise we
keep with the problematic setting as we have done for months, at least
since February (scons uses /usr, and both make and scons use
sdl-config for sdl things, BTW). Sorry to be a bit blunt, just do
something and see if that solves it, there is cvs if needed to go
back.

About looking, quick searchs show that Debian (and derived should
too), Fedora Core / Red Hat, Suse, Mandriva and Slackware go with /usr
and have OpenEXR.pc (correct me if wrong, they were really quick). For
Gentoo I no idea if /usr as I do not know how to interpret their build
config nor have a system handy, but I see strings like "mv
${D}/usr/share/doc/${P}/examples ${D}/usr/share/doc/${PF}/examples"
and they depend on pkgconfig.

GSR