[Bf-committers] Makefiles - OpenEXR and python on ubuntu linux

D.J. Capelis blender at djc.people.sgalliance.com
Mon Jul 17 10:15:26 CEST 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-17 at 16:39 +1000, Matt Ebb wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After chatting with spiderworm on IRC, there seems to be some issues
> with the makefiles that break compilation on the current Ubuntu Linux by
> default.
Good to know about these, but we should also be aware that blender will
rarely compile by default on default setups of most distros simply
because many binary distributions do not install the appropriate
headers/libs.

> Currently in CVS, it's looking in /usr/local (nan_definitions.mk: 123)
> where at least on Ubuntu it should be looking in /usr. I see that the
> other Linux options below are all looking in /usr too. Should this be
> changed for linux/OpenEXR? I don't know if that would impact on other
> distributions.
We'll have to look at various options there and map which distros do
which.  It's likely that this was setup when most people were compiling
OpenEXR by hand where it would install itself in /usr/local as opposed
to /usr... nowadays quite a few distributions include OpenEXR in their
package management systems and this can likely change.

> Another thing is python - the default version seems to be 2.3
> (nan_definitions.mk: 334), but Ubuntu, and I presume many other Linux
> distributions are using that version too. Isn't there a better way to do
> this than having it hardcoded? Guessconfig? using $python -V  ?
There probably is a better way to do this... I'll defer to the build
system maintainers on this one.

> Last one, when linking it was looking for libGL.a which doesn't exist,
> only libGL.so. After some experimentation, adding "export
> NAN_JUST_BLENDERDYNAMIC=true" fixed this, but it seems a bit nasty that
> one can't just build by default.
It does exist on most sane distros, nevertheless, it's probably about
time we made dynamic linking for GL the default...

> Anyways, just throwing this up there for the Linux platform maintainers
> to take a look at.
Thanks for the heads-up!  I'll poke some of the build system folks and
work to resolve some of these.  Unfortunately most of my testing is on
scons as it's what I use to release the binaries so I haven't looked at
the makefiles as closely.

> cheers
>
> Matt
~DJ