[Bf-committers] Ray tracer on Cell, internship or volunteer

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Thu Jul 13 19:52:25 CEST 2006

Hi,

I got this email from Germany, they're IBM related.
They're seeking for someone who could help them out... either voluntary
with remote access, or as internship.

Interested? Mail me (personal) and I forward you all contact details.

Thanks!

-Ton-

We as the LiSoG Association are very interested in promoting Linux based
solution stacks and in creating a business community around this
technology. With Cell being a very innovative technology, specifically
targeted for the Sony PS3 however with many opportunities to be
exploited
in media applications, we would like to spurr the interest of Open
Source
applications using this technology. Our vision is, that customers using
Blender today could possibly benefit significantly from Raytracing being
executed in the Playstation. Therefore we had a student working in IBM
trying to adapt the Blender Raytracer to run on a cell chip. He was not
successful as he had no insight on the Blender Raytracer and found the
data
structures fairly complex and not easy to map on processes being
executed
in parallel. A friend of mine who is a user of Blender mentioned the
option
that an external Open Source Raytracer might be a workable alternative.
The
net of our discussions was that we really need a programming expert who
is
very knowledgeable in this arena and do some appropriate prototyping
which
gives us a good understanding and possibly some product lead way for
using
a Playstation in November.
It is clearly neccessary (and will be arranged) that this person has
close
contact with the key experts on Cell within IBM. The question how he
gets
access to Cell Blade hardware (remotely or online) depends pretty much
on
the option if he can spend appropriate time here in Boeblingen. We as
LiSoG
are interested and also willing to spend some ressources for this
project
although our main emphasis is on catalizing multiple interested parties
who
are willing to also invest into this effort. We also thought it might
be a
good idea to get in contact with companies professionally using Blender
for
their business.

Ton Roosendaal  Blender Foundation ton at blender.org
http://www.blender.org