[Bf-committers] Diff patch for Intel Macs

Ed Halley ed at halley.cc
Sun Jul 2 04:23:23 CEST 2006

On Jul 1, 2006, at 4:54 PM, Ton Roosendaal wrote:
> Hi Doug,
>
> I've replace my old iBook with a new powerbook yesterday, so
> finally could check on the patch!
> The changes look fine, but before I commit there's a couple of
> issues to solve;
>
> - OpenAL indeed doesn't work yet, that will take some work
> (hopefully not me!)

<aol> Not me either! </aol>

> - The darwin ports libintl (and the one I compiled myself) doesn't
> run without linking with libiconv.a too. Is that your experience too?

I just needed libiconv itself, and I used DarwinPorts' gettext to
fetch the library itself.

> - OpenEXR has a new release with intel mac support, that needs a
> new thread

I just used the DarwinPorts OpenEXR-- I wasn't too aware of any
special needs there, it has worked for over a month so maybe I was
using a ppc version without realizing it.

> What I can do is make all precompiled libs available in cvs lib/
> directory (including exr), so a checkout and compile will become
> pretty painless.

Timothy-somebody posted a lib/ which I used.  I think Doug also used
this same library set.  I did a hackish fix for tiff*.h, just copying
it into the lib/ from the DarwinPorts version of libtiff.

> But, before I do so, would like to hear some feedback from others
> who got it to compile for OSX... anything else to be aware of?

Even though you've already gone through the hassle, I'll attach my
notes, which details what a new MacBook user needs to do to build cvs
as of today.

One thing that I would like to see is that the OSX (make release)
steps automatically build a properly compressed .dmg file instead of
a tarball.  For i386, you can depend on 10.4+ and UDBZ compression,
but for ppc you may still want to support older OSX builds that don't
have UDBZ.  I once tried to stick the appropriate commands into the
release/ makefile, in place of the tarballing step, but something
wasn't working properly.

--
[ e d @ h a l l e y . c c ]