[Bf-committers] Getting the key down information

ben ben at half-dome.net
Tue Jan 10 10:01:10 CET 2006

@Ed, I dont mind having only one keydown at any time, its just that the
mouse movement counts as a mousedown event with the current code so
every time you move the mouse you stop moving.

@Stealth, Thanks! I'll take a look.

Also, someone mentioned at elysiun that there's going to be an event
system refactor soon? Would that mean that all of this would have to be
redone anyway?

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 21:01:44 -0800 (PST), Stealth Apprentice wrote:

> My spaceball patch is pretty good for this.
>
> With a small modification (pretty clear from the code)
> you can make my code pan/raise/dolly within the move
> loop. Right now it looks for spaceball inputs, all
> you'd have to do is assign one key to be the
> "spaceball" key, and as long as it's held down,
> instead of the mouse doing the middle mouse thing, it
> could do x/y/z translation. Or you could toggle the
> mouse mode... Or you could support WASD while
> "mouselooking" in the normal middle mouse mode. I
> agree with Ed that you want to stay away from wacky
> chords, on the other hand it's most excellent to be
> able to stay in the Blender's look-at loop.
>
> The reason it's desirable to stay in that loop instead
> of popping out, and reentering in a different mode is
> that Blender actually seems to take 1/4 second to
> notice that the camera is moving. If you stay in the
> loop, camera motion is buttery smooth, but if you
> allow a drop out to the main loop, it starts feeling
> stuttery.
>
> (That's why the spaceball patch has a 1/10s delay
> before exiting the look around mode)
>

> --- trip somewhere <trip0o at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > just pressing one key would work for now, like just
> > one command for
> > direction.. and have access to the mouse movements
> > to swivel the view.
> > The main idea is to have a clean smooth control of
> > the view unlike fly
> > mode..
> >
> > Also it takes away the need for constant stop and go
> > mouse movemets
> > and pressing of y x z to adjust the camera

> > having only one key/mouse
> > modifier keys
> > the keys pressed at any
> > >
> > > There is no truly portable way.  Plus, you
> > shouldn't assume that all
> > > platforms would even have that capability.  Plus,
> > you shouldn't assume
> > > that all users can press and hold multiple keys.
> > Disabled people have
> > > software that can help them hold Shift+R but not
> > N+Q+R.
> > >
> > > Try to use keystroke controls like most windowed
> > applications, not
> > > key-hold controls like Quake or Doom.  Just my
> > advice.
> > >
> > > --
> > > [ e d @ h a l l e y . c c ]

Normanstabler-ben